The Williams Library

In 1925, T. C. Williams, Jr. purchased Agecroft Hall, sight unseen, at an auction in England. The house was then dismantled, shipped to the United States and rebuilt in Richmond, VA. Mrs. Elizabeth Williams Morton (affectionately known as Bessie) lived in the home until the late 1960s and, after she moved out, the house became a museum, opening to the public in 1969. Mr. Williams bought the home in 1925 intending for it to become an art museum after both he and Bessie no longer needed the house. While Bessie was living at Agecroft, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts was established and there was no need for another art museum so close, so it was decided to look to the building’s past and turn

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive

4305 Sulgrave Road, Richmond, VA 23221 

(804) 353.4241