Position Title: FESTIVAL MANAGER for THE RICHMOND SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL
Over the course of the summer, Agecroft will welcome 4,000+ visitors to picnic on the grounds and enjoy a Shakespeare play in its courtyard. The Festival Manager is in charge of ensuring that every night of the Richmond Shakespeare Festival runs smoothly from the moment the gates open for the public until the last people leave the premises. The Festival Manager has primary responsibility for running the Box Office, overseeing concessions and managing front of house for Quill’s productions. S/he must work closely with Quill’s cast, crew and staff.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
Manage the nightly operations of the Richmond Shakespeare Festival at Agecroft Hall & Gardens with special attention to the following duties:
1. Work with staff from both Agecroft and Quill (including Security) to prepare for the Festival and ensure that the customer experience at the Festival is both safe and enjoyable.
2. Work with Tix.com and other Festival vendors on logistics.
3. Interview and train Festival staff on their duties for box office, front of house, ushering, and concessions.
4. Lead team to install and deinstall stage in Agecroft’s courtyard. Supervise set strike.
5. Introduce Quill cast and crew to Agecroft property and train them on Festival rules and best practices.
6. Work with director and production team to ensure smooth load-in and out for each production.
7. Open the house each night and make sure box office, concessions and front of house are ready to go at 6pm.
8. Ensure smooth communication among Quill cast/crew and Agecroft staff.
9. Work with Quill on weather related delays/cancellations, communicate any change in plan to the audience, and direct everyone to safe shelter.
10. Receive actors/partners/visitors on performance nights, answer questions and solve problems as they arise.
11. Attend weekly meetings (usually Monday evenings 6-7pm) with production team to plan logistics. Advise production team on best practices for each show.
12. Close down the Festival each night and be the last off the property.
Must have relevant experience in front of house theater management. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required. Customer service experience a plus. Strong work ethic. Ability to think on one’s feet and problem solve in real time. Attention to detail. Ability to work well on a team as well as independently. Sense of humor.
Working outdoors on summer evenings. Many evenings are hot and humid with a chance of rain. Position requires walking, sitting and occasional lifting of equipment weighing up to 30 pounds. Must pass a background check.
This is a part time, seasonal position running from late May to August 10th.
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and resume to Ms. Emily Jones at by March 2nd.
Agecroft Hall & Gardens is an equal opportunity employer.